4031 University Drive,
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
FAX: (703) 766-4654
FACE THE FACTS l GET INVOLVED
FACE THE FACTS:
- Northern Virginia needs at least $400 million a year to even begin to make progress in improving our commute.
- Last year, funding was improved in the form of taxes to raise and estimated $300 million for projects all over the Northern Virginia Area. (Check out a list of those projects here)
- Funds began pouring in starting in January of 2008.
- On February 29, 2008, the Virginia Supreme Court dealt a blow to the NVTA by declaring that the authority given by the General Assembly to the NVTA to collect the taxes was unconsititutional. (Supreme Court Brief)
- On March 6, 2008, NVTA urged the General Assembly to act on funding for regional transportation projects. Read the letter here: Letter to General Assembly.
- However, because of the Supreme Court Ruling, the NVTA is returning all funds collected since January and will have NO MONEY to start, let alone finish, necessary transportation improvements.
The NVTA needs YOUR HELP to insist that the General Assembly fund the projects needed to ease congestion in Northern Virginia.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED:
- Contact your representative and let them know you want transportation relief!
- Get involved in the "PIECE OF MY COMMUTE" CAMPAIGN
This initiative invites the general public to create original content videos and upload them to a special NVTA You Tube Channel. Instructions and guidance are posted to You Tube as well as this website asking Northern Virginia residents, business owners, students, families – anyone who suffers from daily gridlock woes – to “share their commute” with members of the Virginia General Assembly.
The You Tube Channel can be found at: www.youtube.com/NVTAmycommute
The YouTube Group can be found at: www.youtube.com/group/NVTAPOMC
Warning! Please Don't Use Cameras While Driving. Tripods Are Prohibited In Metro Stations. Please Use Hand-Held Cameras Only On Metro.
- Sign the NVTA's Eight Principles Petition.
NVTA appreciates the significant efforts made by the Governor and General Assembly to provide a dedicated transportation funding for Northern Virginia. However, as a result of the Supreme Court ruling, Northern Virginia is unable to address its worsening congestion. The implications for the region’s and the states economies are potentially disastrous.
In addressing this challenge, the NVTA will use the following principles to guide it in assessing proposed solutions.
- Join us at the Black Ribbon Cutting ceremonies. At many of the project sites there was to be a red ribbon cutting ceremony to mark the beginning of construction. Instead we will hold black ribbon cutting ceremonies to mark the projects we cannot do until funding is approved by the General Assembly. (Details will be posted here as they become available)
- We have created a group on . Sign up and join us! NVTA Facebook