The NVTA’s member jurisdictions are located within the boundaries of Planning District 8. The Authority includes the counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William; and the cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas and Manassas Park.
Seventeen elected or appointed members make up the Authority’s governing body, including the voting members:
- The chief elected officer of the governing body of each of the counties and cities embraced by the Authority. The chief elected officer may, in his or her discretion, appoint a designee upon written notice signed by the chief elected officer provided to the Chairman, which designee shall be a current elected officer of the same governing body as the chief elected officer, to serve as a member of the Authority in the place and stead of the chief elected officer and who shall serve until the designee resigns as the designee or ceases to be an elected officer of the governing body, the chief elected officer making the appointment leaves office, the chief elected officer replaces the designee, or the duration of the designation expires.
- Two members of the House of Delegates who reside in different counties or cities embraced by the Authority. The House members shall be appointed to the Authority by the Speaker of the House and shall be, to the extent practicable, from the membership of the House Committee on Appropriations, the House Committee on Finance, or the House Committee on Transportation.
- One member of the Senate who resides in a county or city embraced by the Authority. The Senate member shall be appointed by the Senate Committee on Privileges and Elections and shall be, to the extent practicable, from the membership of the Senate Committee on Finance and the Senate Committee on Transportation.
- Two citizens appointed by the Governor. One of the citizens shall be a member of the Commonwealth Transportation Board who resides in a county or city embraced by the Authority. The other citizen appointed by the Governor shall be a person who has significant experience in transportation planning, finance, engineering, construction, or management who resides in a county or city embraced by the Authority but who is not a resident of the same county or city as the other citizen appointed by the Governor to the Authority.
- The Director of the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation, or his or her designee, shall be a non-voting member of the Authority.
- The Commonwealth Transportation Commissioner, or his or her designee, shall be a non-voting member of the Authority.
- The chief elected officer of one town in a county which the Authority embraces to be chosen by the Authority shall be a non-voting member of the Authority. The Town member shall be selected at the annual meeting and shall be rotated on an annual basis.